Content Repurposing - 21 Ways to Get Your Information in Front of as Many Hot Prospects as Possible
by Jeff Herring | February 02, 2011
Imagine, if you will, what your life would be like if each time you needed to use your car to go somewhere, you had to create a brand new vehicle from scratch.
Want to go to Starbucks for a cup of Joe and the morning newspaper? Create a new vehicle.
Great seats to hear your favorite band? Need a new vehicle.
Off to see the latest popular movie? Hang on, gotta build a car.
Stressful, ridiculous and over the top, right?
Of course. The purpose of a vehicle is to get you to as many places as you want to go, over and over again, right?
So why do we as entrepreneurs believe we need to create a new piece of content each and every time we want or need content?
The Good News
The good news is that you don't need to recreate content every time. You can repurpose content in many ways.
You have probably heard about repurposing content before. I bet you have yet to grasp and access the full power of repuposing.
The above example with cars is a little crazy. And speaking of crazy, I bet you are also familiar with the standard definition of insanity.
"Doing the same thing, that does not work, over and over again, and expecting different results."
Well, Alex Mandossian and I have come up with a similar, but much more useful definition of Repurposing.
"Repurposing is Hyper-Sanity - using the same thing over and over again and getting fantastic profit producing results."
So, are you ready to be hyper-sane and get fantastic profit producing results? Then you are really going want to keep this article within reach. What follows are 21 ways to repurpose your content. You'll get
- 7 Text Repurposing Ideas
- 7 Audio Repurposing Ideas
- 7 Video Repurposing Ideas
And all from one piece of content.
7 Text Repurposing Ideas
1) Online Articles - Since I'm known as the Article Marketing Guy, it makes sense that I would begin with this one. Repurpose your content into a 400 - 500 word article on a specific topic from your niche. While there are many online Article Directories, I recommend you start with EzineArticles. They receive over 50 million unique visitors a month. You want to be in front of that much traffic.
2) Newsletter Articles - Bill Glazer will be teaching an entire blueprint on marketing with newsletters at the 2011 GKIC SuperConference in Chicago. Any content you create can and should be repurposed as articles for your newsletter(s).
Maritza, my wife and business partner, recently used a previous article of mine for our February newsletter. The original article was created in 1995. While it's been reworked and updated, it's still relevant today. That's flat out evergreen.
3) Blog series - Don't make the mistake of only getting one blog post out of a piece of content. Create a blog post series. How many blog posts could I get out of this article?
4) Email - Start an email off with a few sentences from your content and provide the link to read the rest of the content. I could make it harder for you, but why?
5) Tweet or Tweet Series - Tweet the title of your content with a link. You can tweet quotes from your content as well, with a link. You can also create a Tweet Series. Include one tip with each Tweet, with a link, of course.
6) Facebook Update or FB Update Series - Create a FB Update with the title of your content with a link. You can use sub-headings from your content with a link. You can also do a FB Update Series, including a link with each update.
Side Note 1: Now you can no longer say you don't know what to say on Twitter or Facebook.
7) A Compilation Book - Collect several pieces of content or articles around a topic. Deliver them in a small and inexpensive traditional book. Beats the heck out of the traditional business card when you are networking.
7 Audio Repurposing Ideas
8) TeleSeminar - One piece of content equals at least one great teleseminar, perhaps more. If you have written a 7 Tips Article, then you have the bullets for your teleseminar content already laid out for you.
9) Blog Talk Radio - Your content is your topic for your own show. It's also your topic as a guest. If you are a guest, you can create questions for the host based on your content. This is a good thing to do, as you already know the answers.
10) Audio Recording - Record your content. Then offer it as an audio on your blog or website. This is a great way to bring in the traffic.
11) An mp3 - Offer your audio as an mp3 recording, either as a freebie on your site or a downloadable product. I'll always remember the first time one of my students told me they listen to me at the gym.
12) Audio CD - With Kunaki.com you can create a professional looking Audio CD for as little as one dollar. Use it as a business card when networking or sell it as one of your information products. How about an entire line of Audio CD's based on your content?
13) 24 Hour Recorded Message - It's amazing to me how few people do this because it is so powerful. Have a prospect dial a toll free number where you deliver 3 - 5 tips via your recorded voice.
14) Signature Speech or Presentation - It's not the fear of public speaking that messes people up. It's the fear of not knowing what to say. Not anymore.
7 Video Repurposing Ideas
15) YouTube - Take your content and deliver it as a screen capture video on the #3 most trafficked site online. And you don't have to deliver all of your content in one video. Break up your content piece into several online videos. This increases your overall reach from one piece of content.
16) Video Distribution Sites - Use video distribution sites like Traffic Geyser and TubeMogul to spread your information to more hungry prospects online.
17) Video Training - If you have your training in text only, you are really missing out. Screen capture videos combined with you teaching at a white board have a very high perceived value. Charge accordingly.
18) WebTV - You can create your own WebTV Show by repurposing your content. When you offer several tips in your content, you can create a show around each tip. Hint: your show does not have to be 30 minutes long like on network television. You decide how long the show will be.
19) DVD - In the same way as an Audio CD, Kunaki.com will create a first class DVD for you for as little as one dollar. Screen capture instructional videos combined with you teaching at a white board are perfect for this. High perceived value. Charge accordingly.
20) Video Sales Letter - Your content can be a great teaser for a bigger information product in a Video Sales Letter. Your content tips are the appetizer for the full meal.
21) TV Appearances - Turn your content into guest appearances on TV. Once upon a time as a family therapist, I was the "Good Morning Family Therapist" on the local CBS morning news show. Great visibility and each show pulled in new clients. Each segment was based on content already created.
You could also go big and aim for national TV shows as well.
You can get all this leverage from just one piece of content. There are more repurposing strategies, space allowed for only 21.
Side Note 2: Do you think that this article will eventually be repurposed in all these ways? You betcha!
Side Note 3: Which of these 21 Repurposing Strategies can you begin before your head hits the pillow tonight?
Jeff Herring AKA The Article Marketing Guy is an internet marketer specializing in article marketing, teaching internet marketers, authors, speakers and self employed professionals to write and market articles for more prospects, publicity and profits, and to create multiple streams of income with their articles. Jeff's students and clients discover how to create more content in less time, create a powerful online presence, drive highly qualified traffic, build a highly qualified and highly responsive list, and create multiple information products to build their information empire. http://jeffherring.com/
Glazer-Kenndey Insiders Circle, owned and operated by internationally known marketing personalities Dan Kennedy and Bill Glazer, is THE place where truly smart, progressive, aggressive entrepreneurs with a love for marketing, a sincere desire to get rich and richer (with no apologies for doing so), and an optimistic, forward-looking attitude, gather' to exchange and share timely information and "what's working today" strategies and examples. Get Bill Glazer's #1 Bestselling Book, "Outrageous Advertising" for FREE. Click here.
Chia-Li Chien, CFP®, CRPC, PMP; helps entrepreneurs to creating business value that transforms their world. She is the author of Show Me The Money and columnist for WomenEntrepreneur.com & Fox Business online. She is available for consulting, speaking engagements and workshops. She can be reached at http://www.chialichien.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.