5 Qualifying Questions You Must Ask Every Time
by Mike Brooks | Jan. 02, 2013
Copyright (c) 2012 Mr. Inside Sales
Would you like a way to become instantly better at closing more sales over the phone? If so, then simply incorporate these "must know" questions into your first qualifying call and you will immediately have better results when you call back to close.
How can I be so certain knowing the answers to these 5 questions will make you a better closer? It's because of the indisputable rule in sales: "You can't close an unqualified lead." And that's exactly what 80% of your competition is doing.
I listen to hundreds of actual calls from my clients each month, and I hear it over and over again - sales reps struggling to present their products and services to prospects who are not qualified in fundamental ways. Here's are the questions you can ask to avoid this and to qualify your prospects better:
1) "What role do you play in the decision process?" You'd be amazed by how many sales reps simply never ask this question and, instead, assume they are dealing with a decision maker. In fact, have you ever gotten to the end of your close and been told, "Well, I have to send this to corporate and see what they think..."
That's because you never asked question #1.
2) "How does this decision process work? Walk me through it." If you have a pipeline full of prospects who didn't buy after your demo or presentation, then you probably didn't ask this question either. And I'll bet your closing rate is less than 2 out of 10.....
3) "How many times in the last couple of months did you present something like this to (the board, corporate, the owner) and what happened?" If you want to know what the likelihood of getting your product or service through the decision process they described to you and what the likelihood of them actually closing is, just ask this question. The answer they give you will be the same as the one you're going to get back next week...
4) " __________ based on what you've heard so far, how much of a fit do you think this is for what you're looking to accomplish?" What, a trial close on the first call?! Absolutely! If you're dealing with a real buyer for your product or service, there is no better question than that one to uncover what any potential objections might be waiting for you when you call back to close. AND, there is no better question to reveal how close you may be to getting the deal when you call back...
5) " ___________, is there anything you can think of that might stand in the way of us doing business in the next few weeks if you like what you see?" This question is for Top 20% closers only and it's the question that will move you into the Top 1%. Try it and start re-qualifying or start writing up your order for the next call...
About Mike Brooks
Mike Brooks is founder and principle of Mr. Inside Sales, a Los Angeles based inside sales consulting and training firm, and author of the award winning books on inside sales: "The Real Secrets of the Top 20%," and his new book, "The Ultimate Book of Phone Scripts." For more information, visit his website:http://mrinsidesales.com/
About Chia-Li Chien
Chia-Li Chien, CFP®, CRPC, PMP; Chia-Li “like JOLLY,” Succession Strategist of Value Growth Institute, dedicated to helping private business owners increase their company equity value. She is the award-winning author of the books Show Me The Money and Work toward Reward and a faculty of the American Management Association. Her blog and newsletter was named a Top Small Business Resource by the New York Times You’re the Boss blog. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or (704) 268-9378 .